Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proform Racing

PRO MEMBER
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,225 Times in 2,056 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Proform Racing

With the advent of Version 1.75 Proform Professional is now firmly the top dog in the electronic formbook market.
    Whilst always a good product it is now even better with the introduction of queryable Speed Ratings, In Running Comments, actual Betair Prices and Irish Racing all at no additional cost.

I have updated my original review and have posted it below.
    Proform Professional is essentially a computerised form book that allows you to easily interrogate the underlying database in order to carry out in-depth analysis to help you decide on your selections.

Proform is run by Simon Walton who provides excellent support via the Proform Forum and Email. Simon also offers free one on one training session using logmein mini-meeting. This tool allows you to setup a mini-meeting on your PC so that Simon can control your PC and chat to you and show you the software in action etc.

The Proform Professional Software comes with 14 years UK horse racing data for Flat, National Hunt and All Weather Racing, from 1997 onwards. The results for Irish racing are in the database back to January 1st 2009 and the declarations are provided daily for the next day’s racing in the same way as they are for the UK racing.

Actual Betfair SP prices are also included in the database from the day they started i.e. 13th December 2007 and are included with the daily results download at no additional charge.
    The Proform Professional Software is completely free of charge, and so are all upgrades to the software whilst you are a subscriber. You are also allowed to use the software on two computers with the one subscription. Your subscription covers the daily declarations and results.

INSTALLATION
    This involves an initial download of 2 files, about 450mb in total, although they can be provided by CD if preferred. Full and clear instructions are provided to help with the install. My experience of the installation process was to be honest very good and everything went very smoothly indeed.

Once the software has been installed you have to register the software in order to be able to download results and declarations. Again this was very straightforward and I was soon downloading data to bring the database up to date.

SYSTEM BUILDER
    The System Builder is a very powerful tool that provides you with the tools to test any system ideas you may have. The user interface is a pleasure to use and has been very well thought out.

On entering the System Builder you are presented with a number of easily navigated tabbed windows that provide you with the means to build your query, in effect your system rules, before hitting the run button and seeing the results.
    I start with the “Race Date Filter” tab, this allows me to select the period I am interested in for qualifying races. This tab actually offers may ways of selecting the period you are interested in; for example you could select every March, April and May in 2007,2008 and 2009, or you could set the date to tomorrow and tick the Horses Declared box and just do a search on horses running tomorrow.

This last option is very useful if you want to do a quick check on how a declared horse or a Jockey with a ride or a trainer with a runner performs at a particular course. For example lets say that there is a meeting tomorrow at Newbury and you want to know how trainers with runners at the meeting have previously performed there, you would simply click on tomorrows date on the calendar tick the Trainer box, select Newbury from the “Race Tab” and select Trainer on the “Results Presentation” Tab and click Run. A few seconds later you are presented with a table showing every trainer with a runner at Newbury and the statistics on how they have performed.

As an example I am shown that N J Henderson has had 41 winners from 241 runners with a win strike rate of 17.01% , a profit of 51.41pts to SP and an ROI to SP of 21.33% . I am also shown similar figures using actual Betfair prices, where available and estimated where not, for place only and each way bets as well as the longest winning run, longest losing run, average winning odds, average odds, highest winning odds and highest odds.

There is also a “Race Filter” and “LTO Race Filter” tabs, these allow you to restrict the types of races you want to search on for example; A/W, Turf, Chase, Hurdle and NHF at the top level down to things like the value, distance or number of runners in the race. The great thing about the entry selection boxes is that you can enter things like >=5 AND <= 10. So if you were interested in races where the price money was between 6,000 and 20,000 you would enter >=6000 and <=20000 in the value box.

Next there is the “Race Course & Going” and “LTO Race Course” tabs. This where you could restrict your search to just a particular course you are interest in or all sharp courses or only right hand courses when the going was heavy.

Next we have the “Race Classification Filters” and “LTO Race Classification Filter” tabs. So if you wanted to include all handicap races except maidens this where you would set it up. The filters available are; Handicap, Maiden, Novice, Selling, Classified, Nursery, Conditions, Auction, Apprentice, Amateur, Conditional Jockeys, Rated Stakes, Fillies, Mares, Juvenile, Median, Showcase, European Breeders Fund, Group1, Group2, Group3, Grade1, Grade2, Grade3, Listed, Chase, Hurdle, NHF and Hunters Chase.

Next there is the “Horse, Jockey and Trainers Filters”. This tab allows you define criteria such as the days since last run, whether the selection was a favourite or joint favourite or indeed if it was not the favourite. You can also use this tab to search on particular horses, trainers and jockeys separately or in combination. So if you wanted to know how a particular trainer and jockey have performed when on the favourite which last raced less than 20 days ago this is the tab to use.

Next tab is the “Ratings Filter”, this where you can select horses by their rank in a particular rating or by making sure they have a specific value or clear top by a specified amount. So what Ratings are available I hear you cry, well there are many

Main - This rating and is calculated from many of the other fields on the racecard, it uses the Tissue Rating, VDW Rating, Official Rating, MR(X) Speed Rating, DSLR, Strike Rate, Proform Form Rating and the weight difference between last two runs on same code of racing.
    Stats - The stats rating is made up of 4 other ratings which are also available separately, these being:-
    Trn Stats - This is the trainers statistical rating and is calculated using the following criteria:- form at today's course, today's distance, last 14 days, this season and last 5 seasons.
    Jky Stats - This is the jockeys statistical rating and is calculated using the following criteria:- form at today's course, today's distance, last 14 days, this season and last 5 seasons.
    Trn/Jky Stats - This is the trainers/jockeys combination statistical rating and is calculated using the following criteria:- form at today's course, today's distance, last 14 days, this season and last 5 seasons.
    Hrs Stats - This is the horses statistical rating and is calculated using the following criteria:- form at today's course, today's distance, this season, last 5 seasons, form for the trainer at today's course, today's distance, this season, last 5 seasons, form for the jockey at today's course, today's distance, this season, last 5 seasons and form for the trainer/jockey combination at today's course, today's distance, this season, last 5 seasons
    PRC1, PRC2, PRC3 and PRCAV - These are class indicators
    PRC1 is last run on same race type as today, i.e. turf, aw, chase, hurdle, nhf and is calculated using a class weighting number, the finishing position and no of runners in last race. PRC2 is 2 runs ago, PRC3 is 3 runs ago and PRCAV is the average of the three above.
    Proform Form Rating - The Proform Form Rating calculates points based on the following information Going Strike Rate, Horse Strike Rate, Trainer/Jockey Strike Rate, Trainer Strike Rate, Jockey Strike Rate, VDW, Last 3 Runs, Trainer Course Strike Rate, Jockey Course Strike Rate, Class Movement, Course Distance Winners, Trainer/Jockey Course Strike Rate, Speed Ratings.
    Tissues ratings - these are calculated from many variables, which include, course form, jockey form, trainer form, trainer and jockey combination form, speed ratings at track, distance, going, recent form and much more.

There are also 4 fields available for your own ratings.

There is now a new tab, Filter Results, which will allow you to filter the results of any system you have created with the system builder. This is a very powerful new feature and is more easily explained with an example and screen shots.
    So here I have set up a query to look at the past 14 day record of all trainers who have a runner at Catterick on December 14th 2010.

After running the query I get the results displayed as below:-

But what if I am only interested in those trainers that have had a winning Strike Rate of at least 33% from at least 3 runners, simples use the new Filter Results feature.

Re-run the query and we get the following results

The System Builder is incredibly flexible and fast to run, unlike Raceform Interactive which seems to grind to a halt and take forever to run a query if you include any LTO information. However, you will find times when you can’t generate the query you need to test a particular system. But this is not a problem as Proform comes with a full featured Exporter that allows you to export data straight from the database or even better from any query you have run to allow for your own processing in Excel. This is truly an excellent feature and allows the user unlimited access in interrogating the database.

A great feature of the System Builder is that once you have found your winning system you can tick a box that will mean you will be automatically alerted to any qualifiers when you download the declarations, never miss a qualifying selection again!

FORM BOOK

The Form Book is equally as good as the System Builder. The race card display if fully configurable and allows you to select which information you want to see and the order it is displayed in. This is an excellent feature and allows each user to tweak the presentation of the data to his or her heart’s content. It should be noted that the prize money for the Irish races is in Euro’s and as there is no equivalent to the UK class numbering system, apart from class 1 races, proform have created the classes for all Irish racing based on the prize money of the race when compared to similar races in the UK. The calculation takes account of the difference between Euro's and Pounds Sterling and also takes account of the Official Rating ranges in handicaps. These calculated classes give an equivalent to the UK class system and allows proform to create speed ratings etc.

The race card info is presented on a spreadsheet type grid with each column being able to be sorted. So if you wanted to see the horses on the card sorted by their OR simply click on the OR title and voila the horses are ordered with the highest OR at the top, click on it again and the list will be re-ordered with the lowest at the top. Another nice touch is that the best and worst value for each stat is highlighted, green for good and red for bad. This gives a very quick overview and allows the user to quickly spot horses with several good things going for it for further investigation.

It is very quick and easy to check past form and indeed if you are looking at a race that was previously run, you can also check the future form as well.
    I particularly liked the collateral form tabs which allow you to quickly see how runners have performed when previously meeting the same horses that they are acing today.

You can also access any notes you have previously entered for a horse and make any notes on the race itself.

The Pattern Matcher is an excellent tool that basically categorises every race that a horse has had and shows you the form for each category. The categories available are; courses, distances, race types, goings, weights, class, field size, days since last run, time of year, jockey and age. This gives a very easy to way to see how a horse has performed in the past in races with similar conditions as today’s race.

It is said that when backing you shouldn’t expect a horse to something it hasn’t done before and when laying you want to make sure there is something in the race that can beat your selection. The pattern matcher is a fantastic tool that gives you the information to quickly see the horses that have demonstrated they can act on today’s conditions and those that can’t.

In a similar vein to the Pattern Matcher is the Trainer Trends information, this provides the same information for each trainer in the race as the Pattern Matcher does for each horse. Ideal to see if the trainer of your fancy has a shocking record with say, 4YO+ horses who last ran more than 30 days ago.

There is also access to the Trainer/Jockey Stats for all involved in the race you are looking at. This is fully customisable in that you can filter what information you want to be included, so for example you could decide you just want the stats for chase races, or just race in March, or just races at today’s course or for a particular distance etc.
    The stats provided show the number of runners, the number of winners, the Strike Rate and the P/L for the Trainer, the Jockey and the Trainer and Jockey combined.

Other features provided include; a Horse Watcher, which gives you a prompt when a previously selected horse is running, a Bet Manager, which provides the ability to record all bets made and provide a breakdown of how they have done by filtering against race types, odds etc. and Draw Stats that gives the breakdown of each draw number for each distance at each course.

SOFTWARE HELP

The Help files provided with the software are very good. They are a mixture of movies and text providing clear information and demonstrating the features and functions of the software in an easy to understand manner.

There is also a forum at http://forum.proformprofessional.com/ that whilst not the most active I always got a response, usually within hours of posting, answering any questions I may have had.

I have previously mentioned that Simon offers free training by means of logmein software and I would also like to mention that he provided me with some custom code that he wrote to allow me to import data from my own database into the Proform database.
    In my experience the support provided by Simon is second to none and deserves a special mention.

COSTS

Proform previously charged 44.00 for the database but have now waived that charge.
    The weekly prices vary depending on the length of subscription taken out.

It is much cheaper to commit to a longer term subscription.
    Prices
    1 - 12 weeks =13.50 per week
    13- 29 weeks = 12.50 per week
    30+ weeks =11.50 per week

In all honesty I feel I have only scratched the surface of the wealth of information available from Proform Professional and would have no qualms in recommending it to anyone. With the addition of the Irish racing, Betfair SP and in running comments this product stands head and shoulders above its competition.

If you are interested in taking out a subscription try entering the code UKBT25 on the subscription page as previously UKBT members got a 25% off their first subscription, but I do not know if that offer is still valid

All the Best

AR
    Last edited by Ark Royal; 22-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom - Danny Blanchflower

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ark Royal For This Useful Post:

dicko14 (31-08-2011), fazzyc (23-12-2010), Inventure (07-01-2011), Roger Workman (07-01-2011), TheLongMan (22-12-2010)

Registered Users
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick note to say that yes the 25% discount is still available

Regards
    Simon, Proform

4. The Following User Says Thank You to proform For This Useful Post:

Ark Royal (22-12-2010)

PRO MEMBER
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the clarification Simon.

Guys you really cannot go wrong here, subscribe for the minimum 8 weeks, normal price 108 but with the discount only 81. You will then get the daily declarations and results for the 8 week period. If you decide its not for you after that time you get to keep the huge database and can still use the system builder to your hearts content and its only cost you the equivalent of a tenner a week.

As an aside the Speed Ratings have performed really well in December.
    If you blindly backed the top rated MRL3, this is the median speed rating the horse has achieved in the last 3 runs, in all races this month you would be showing a 66pts profit at BFSP after paying 5% commission.
    Flash in the pan you might say but over the whole of 2010 a profit of 635pts would be shown.
    Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom - Danny Blanchflower

Registered Users
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick note to say we now have a new daily report, link is

tiny.cc/9q0ba

The Proform Daily Reports are daily racecards and statistics for all
    UK and IRISH racing the next day and include :-

Pace Statistics
    Favourite Statistics
    Trainer Course Form
    Jockey Course Form
    Trainer Recent Form Last 7 Days (HOT)
    Trainer Recent Form Last 14 Days (HOT)
    Trainer Recent Form Last 28 Days (COLD)

Regards
    Simon Walton
    Proform Racing

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to proform For This Useful Post:

fazzyc (07-01-2011), Inventure (07-01-2011)

PRO MEMBER
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some great info there Proform, thanks for the link.

AR

Registered Users
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ark Royal View Post
    Some great info there Proform, thanks for the link.

AR
    Thanks we now have them posted on our home page each day

Regards
    Simon

Registered Users
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by proform View Post
    Thanks we now have them posted on our home page each day

Regards
    Simon
    Here are todays

Proform Daily Reports for Wednesday January 12th,

RaceCard Reports http://tiny.cc/6top2
    Trainer Jockey Reports http://tiny.cc/l2wl1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to proform For This Useful Post:

fazzyc (12-01-2011)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it possible to run key words or phrases from the 'In Running Comments' through the System Builder?

The temptation to subscribe is mounting ...

PRO MEMBER
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Boom,

I emailed your question to Simon at Proform and he replied "You can currently export the comments and do the analsys that way but the next version will allow keywords to be queried in the comments using the system builder"
    Hope this helps

All the Best
    AR

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ark Royal For This Useful Post:

Boom (04-07-2011)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks AR, much appreciated.

It's good to hear of the developer, striving to improve and not remain static. Unlike certain, heavily advertised products.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast